Although it is the fifth largest city in Los Angeles County, it does not pay much attention to the city of Pomona, California. Pomona has just over 150,000 people living there, and although it was founded in the late 1800s as a predominantly agricultural community, it has grown more and more industrialized over time. Here's a look at thirteen little known facts about Pomona, California.
1. The Los Angeles County Fair, or the Los Angeles County Fair, is held annually in Pomona and is the largest county fair in the entire United States.
2. The Western University of Health Sciences is located within the city and was recently founded in 1977, with a total of 36 enrolled in its first year.
3. A Pomona College was founded in the town of Pomona in 1887, only to move to Clermont, California, two years later, when an unused hotel building was donated to the school.
4. California State Polytechnic State University, Pomona (known as Cal Poly Pomona) is partially located on the personal ranch of cereal maker WK Kellogg.
5. Some of the people who were born or resided in Pomona, California include: Jessica Alba, Sugar Shane Mosley, Tom Waits, Rich Yet, Mark McGuire and Richie Sandoval.
6. The people of Pomona, California are known as Pomona.
7. Between 1900 and 1910 the city's population nearly doubled.
8. The first US president to visit Pomona was Benjamin Harrison, who stopped at a South Pacific train station while traveling to Los Angeles.
9. Cal Poly Pomona is the second largest land-ranked campus in the entire California state university system.
10. For a brief period of approximately three and a half months during World War II in 1942, the LA County Fair in Pomona was used as a meeting center where Japanese-Americans were temporarily held before being dispersed in various detention camps. internment.
11. The Pomona Mall is an outdoor pedestrian mall that stretches over nine blocks. It was the first such mall built west of the Mississippi River.
12. The city of Pomona is named after Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruits.
13. There are provisions in the city that limit when a family can conduct a yard sale. The city usually indicates four or five weekends a year that yard sales are allowed.
The city of Pomona plays an important role in the life of Southern California and in particular the Los Angeles area. Very important companies are headquartered and Cal Polly Pomona, and Western University of Health Sciences contribute significantly to the area both from the jobs they create and the quality of students who turn out. Pomona has a unique history and is a great place for anyone who visits Southern California to come and see.